Thursday 8 July 2010

Thumping Thursday

That's what the locals call Thursday's because Thursday's here are like Saturday nights at home (the night before the religious day) but at home we just go out and get out of our heads, get a kebab and go home. Here, because they don't drink alcohol they have to content themselves with lobbing high explosives at the Americans.

Today's inventory:

3 cigars - the crisis looms ever closer. Either the chap re-joining our team manages to get some at Bahrain airport or I have to resort to trying to blag my way into the PX !

0 units - it's getting boring writing it now.

0 dollars - ditto

Weather - hot and windy. I haven't got any further with finding a thermometer but I'll keep trying.

Food - I had lunch with a Sheik today.....as you do.


Whole lambs, baked in a clay oven and then stuffed with fragrant rice, nuts, raisins etc., chickens, huge local flat fish baked and covered in different vegetables, fruit and flat breads - bloody marvelous !


I asked afterwards which one was the Sheik and apparently he was the one in the red polo shirt.....a bit of a let down really !


I though I would quickly share some pictures from the journey down to site each day (cause it's late, easy and my brain has gone to sleep).


I have mentioned that we go to work in armoured land cruisers - well this is what they look like.
I also remember mentioning the British Consulate - this is it and it looks more like a prison. There's a British Police Station just behind where I was taking the photo from and that look like a garage......... maybe its a camouflage thing ? I'm not sure that I should be showing you pictures of this as I have been here for nearly 2 weeks and they haven't been round to see if I'm settling in OK or invited me around for a drink - I may have to sulk !
There's one of these on virtually every corner of the COB, I just think that they haven't
anywhere else to put them !
This Mosque hasn't got a single dwelling for miles around so you wonder how it got there in the first place - I guess we'll never know !
This is one for my Street Lighting friends because I know you worry about me......
I may be living behind that wall tomorrow night and the Internet is a bit up and down behind walls in the desert so if you don't hear from me it's probably because I couldn't get on-line rather than being blown to pieces......
Night night
X





4 comments:

  1. Hey - good of you to join us !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off to Berlin tonight to watch Germany in the world cup final . . . . .what? . . oh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd keep that to yourself if I were you...... how is your lovely wife ?

    ReplyDelete