Thursday 22 July 2010

The short one

Tonight’s blog is going to be relatively short. There are a number of reasons for this: firstly, because my family have all gone on a bus trip to the theatre, there will be nobody to ring me in the middle of whatever I decide to do; secondly, because I have forgotten whatever it was that I was going to theme this evening on; and lastly, because I’m not convinced that I am not talking to myself after nearly a month of this.

I can’t believe anyone who is still reading this after nearly a month finds it interesting – the comments have dried up over the last week and are down to precisely nothing, as have comments that were coming in through Facebook and e-mail. This is not a criticism, simply an observation – I know you are all busy people, what with the end of term either come and gone, or looming on the horizon and work and everything else.

There is a very large part of writing this blog that I do for myself. It gives me an hours worth of something to do each very boring evening and it keeps me on my toes with the camera because I am always on the lookout for something that you might find interesting and which will fill in a page – I suspect I wouldn’t do it just as a diary for myself though, I certainly wouldn’t go through the flaming hoops that is the Internet here – I can’t tell you how many times I have had to upload the same photos because the connection has crashed in the middle of it, or how many times I have had to go back and start again because it’s all crashed whilst I was trying to get the spacing sorted out in the final draft (you’ll be pleased to know, before you all start, that I type it all in Word first and then just cut and paste into the blog. But it’s still a pain.)

And whilst we are on the subject of me moaning, you should all be made to type for an hour with a keyboard that is obviously coming to the end of it’s useful life (either that or it’s got sand in it !), on a pillow (because it’s too hot to have on my lap without something under it), sitting up in bed (I have no desk or chair and I tried using the fridge but it made my back hurt) and mostly naked (it’s to hot, even with the air-con on).

So back to my desire to keep this short so that I can watch a film from start to finish for once !

Today’s inventory:

2 cigars – I have cut out my evening one just to see what it’s like, and at the moment it’s fine. I think that’s because I’m back in my room by 7.30 wondering what to do with myself, and lights out by about 9.30 unless something interesting crops up. Things will not be the same when I am sat on my patio at home, on a warm summers evening, with a large glass of red and some chocolate – then it’ll be time to light up !

0 units or dollars

Weather – it was a bit hazy all day today and then when the wind got up after lunch it became very dreary, in a 45deg sort of way !

Gym – No gym tonight. I had a bit of a tummy relapse late last night and decided to starve myself all day to try and get rid of this thing once and for all. One piece of bread at lunchtime (along with lots of water and Gatorade all day in case you were worrying) was what I restricted myself to before dinner. I decided that the last thing I needed to be doing after that sort of day was giving my body a battering !

Food – Thursday night is BBQ night at our camp (it being the Islamic day of rest tomorrow) so I had a small bit of steak, a small bit of pork (I know !) a few potato wedges and a couple of small bits of corn on the cob, Now it’s fingers crossed for the morning ! What I didn’t have were massive bbq’d lobster tails and claws. Lobster has never really appealed to me, mostly because of the price, so I can’t remember ever having had it before, if I have then I certainly can’t remember what it tastes like – I hope they have it again when I’m feeling a bit better, who knows when I will get the chance for something like that for nothing. I can only assume that they are prevalent in the local water (whatever that is) and therefore as cheap as anything else around here.

The rather hazy picture below (you’ll work it out, it’s out of focus, taken from a moving car, through smoked glass and without my glasses on !) I took because I thought it looked interesting. When we got back someone started to tell me about a British war memorial built in the oilfields to commemorate the 2003 invasion – he was talking about my interesting photo ! The upshot was an immediate proposal to divert one day and visit it – I will take security advice on this proposition but I am generally in favour.


The other picture is of one of our subcontractors building a garden. They are doing this because we wanted some samples of the paving they would be using in the “soft” landscaped areas. This is typical of their desire to please and took several hours of several peoples time (who I would have preferred to have been laying pipes on site but we’ll steer away from that). Needless to say, it wasn’t finished when we had to leave so you will have to wait till tomorrow for the finished article (if it does indeed get finished, that being the bit where the locals do not excel). I’ll may even move the ashtray !



As a matter of interest this didn't turn out any shorter than all the others (I just couldn't be bothered to change the title........and I've just remembered the theme I was going to write about as well - bugger !

4 comments:

  1. I still religiously log in during my lunch break everyday to see how you are getting on :)
    Have you had your first go at pointing at some random object yet? Need picture proof if you have ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to wait for my Facebook update........

    ReplyDelete
  3. you need to take back one of those big saints foam pointy finger hands when you go back for comedy pointing value

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still reading, still enjoying.

    TIP On photo uploads: make a copy of photo, resize copy to say 800 wide max. then upload the copy.

    Are all contruction workers colour coded on the site?? Is red bad like on Star Trek?

    ReplyDelete