Monday 19 July 2010

Hump Day

I’m not going to dwell on it but it is worthy of note – today is Hump Day. The middle day of my tour and every minute from now on brings me closer to home (not that they didn’t before but you know what I mean). I shall try and forget about it now for a week but I have tentatively started to make my return trip arrangements !

Today’s inventory:

3 Cigars – but I am going to have to cut down. I bought some more today because I am going back to live on site tomorrow and I didn’t want to run out again and it struck me that not only was I putting a lot of pressure on myself when I was running short but that I had only brought $200 dollars with me (not knowing what to expect in any shape or form) and I was down to $75 (for reasons I shall explain in a minute) and you never quite know when you might need the odd dollar here, and there’s no cashpoint to go and top up at………I’d be surprised if there was a bank……..and even if there was a bank, you wouldn’t catch me going to it !

0 Units

$36 Dollars spent - $13 on cigars, $15 on a cable to be able to watch DVDs from my laptop on the telly in my room at site (I had to put back the one we had “borrowed” from the bosses computer as she will be back in a couple of days and might notice that it’s not working properly…….) and $8 on a huge bottle of indigestion tables (Tums Super Duper strength) and a massive bag of Nacho flavoured Doritos…….bad toad ! If you count cigars for me as a necessity rather than a luxury then the Nachos are the first extravagance I have had since I left Dubai so I think I deserve them. I’m going to save them for a night when nobody can bother me in my room on site and I’m going to sit on the sofa with my feet up and what the whole of Godfather 2 whilst eating Nachos !

Weather – really windy, even at the COB. Work was halted on-site today because of the wind and the sandstorms and the weather has to be pretty bad before that happens (or we allow it to happen more like……)

Food – Nothing really noteworthy.

Gym – 2 trips today, although the second one was shorter than I anticipated because it suddenly got really busy for some reason and (and I am sure you have all had enough of hearing about this) the Imodium I have had to take has given me back my freedom, as well as rather a lot of wind. What it hasn’t given me, is the confidence to pass that wind freely. Still enough about that.

It did occur to me that some of you chaps and chapesses out there may have formed a mental picture of me going to the gym (some of you may have tried to shut it out, which is also understandable). This mental picture may (or may not be, in which case you can skip this bit and go straight to the pictures whilst patting yourselves on the back for being tuned in with me) be based on your experiences with Esporta, with Virgin, with Cannon, or with other similar establishments throughout the country. I thought it would be a nice idea to share a couple of pictures with you so that you could stop worrying about me being molly coddled…………

We’ll start with the outside of the “Skylink Sports and Fitness Club”………….


Your imagination is now rampant with thoughts of Tardises and underground bunkers I’ll warrant……. Sorry to disappoint you………..



Let me tell you, 5 people this evening made it surprisingly busy – where as 0530hrs this morning I was the last one in there after 3 people had finished, and had it all to myself for half an hour (which is great cause I don’t feel feeble in front of some of the larger members of our community !).


I’m back to site tomorrow for a few days so think of me and raise a glass to early evening boredom and my inability to do anything about it !

Sleep tight.

1 comment:

  1. Definately better facilities than 70's/80's UK residential disabled school/college. Your gym is for self inflicted pleasure. Both places have people to keep you on site I note ;-)

    ReplyDelete