Thursday 15 July 2010

Another Thumping Thursday

Today I have been trying to keep out of the sun.

I’m also having a rest from physical activities and generally trying to chill-out a bit. Drinking plenty of water and not eating to much. Yesterdays exertions have had a detrimental effect on my digestion and although it’s not painful or causing me any major issues it’s bloody irritating !

None the less, it’s been a productive day administratively. I’ve sorted all my e-mails, did my filing, tuned my telly in, so that I can watch movies on it (although I can’t seem to get sound to come from the telly, just the computer (I am using the 15 pin cable from a normal desktop monitor in case any of you geniuses out there can tell me what I need to do – although it’s not critical cause I have sound one way or another).

The extent of the interest today is probably sending three companies requests for quotes for portable toilets. I’m sorry if I have offended any of my friends in the portable toilet world but I needed local companies………. (I haven’t, as far as I’m aware, got any friends in the portable toilet world…..I just added that bit for effect because today has not been a particularly newsworthy day.)

The other noteworthy thing about today was that I turned over and went back to sleep this morning (I told you it had been quiet !). Because I don’t have to leave for site any more (because I’m already here), I don’t have to sort out my e-mails before I leave by going into the office etc. If I choose to get up and go for a run before I go to breakfast then all well and good (breakfast finishes at 0800hrs so five to eight is my cut-off). But this morning I chose not to get up when the sun came up (about 5) but turned over and went back to sleep, which, considering I had turned the light out at 9.30ish last night meant that when I was finally woken at 6.30 by someone chattering on my radio, I had had a bloody good nights sleep for a change ! I’m looking forward to another one tonight.


When I did get up I popped outside to take a picture of the scene I tried to describe yesterday, which was the layer of smoke laid down by the flaring (burning the gas, which comes out with the oil if you remember) - very Tolkienesk.

On a lighter note, apparently the South Rumailah Shopping Centre was the scene of a suspected roadside bomb today…….I told you shopping was bad for you and I told everyone that not travelling so frequently was a good idea (but it is Thumping Thursday so we should expect these things I guess)

Today’s inventory

3 cigars – Aaaarrrrrrrrrrr !

0 units

$13 dollars – on cigars

Weather – hot, dry, arid, cloudless, merciless, (I stayed in my air-conditioned room for most of the day so yah boo sucks to you Mr Weather !)

Gym – a rest and recovery day today. Rest days are as important in the cycle as any other kind of exercise and although I haven’t enjoyed it as much as exercise (you heard it here first folks) I do need to let my body recover a little as it’s starting to complain (and I’m not getting any younger !) So much so that depending how I feel tomorrow I may take another one for full recovery. I keep telling myself that I have just over 3 weeks left to exercise and it would be stupid to spend most of that either injured or ill. I’ll let you know in the morning.

Food – nothing of note except the craving for a bacon sandwich grows by the day (and I have to say I am now starting, on and off, to crave red wine for some reason……I suspect I just miss it. It’s not just any alcohol, just red wine…….strange….)


And this, by happy coincidence, was 6.30 this evening !

Night night.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. VGA cables dont do sound :-( you have to have an audio 3.5mm-Stereo RCA cable (from laptop line out hole) and other end goes into audio In on TV, IF it has an audio in.

    It may have a SPDIF in but I doubt your laptop has SPDIF out.

    If you get a new laptop and see one with HDMI 1.3 out, then get that and HDMI lead. HDMI does audio.

    More likey to get a laptop with DVI out, in which case you will need a DVI-HDMI converter and just use the 3.5mm-Stereo RCA to HDMI audio input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. or I can just listen to the sound come out of the laptop.......

    Thanks Mark. At least I know that I can't just change it by mucking about with settings.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete