Sunday 4 July 2010

Independence Day

Evening All - and can I start by thanking all Americans for our Independence, God only knows what would have happened if we were still having to look after you !


I thought I would do the inventory first today so that I can avoid going to sit on the step for another cigar !

4 cigars

0 units (and there were a few hangovers around this morning so I'm jolly glad I didn't go to the bar last night I can tell you !)

0 dollars spent (I don't think I have ever gone a whole week in the last 30 plus years where I haven't spent a single penny. Even when I was in the Army, on exercise in the middle of a wood or halfway across the Canadian prairies, or up a bloody mountain, there was always someone willing to sell you something...... astonishing)


Visits to the gym - One, but I think I am going to have a night off tomorrow. I've been 8 straight days now and there is such a thing as over-training (that, and the fact I am completely bolloxed and my feet hurt)

Weather - bloody hot and very very humid. Today out at site, was the hottest that I have experienced so far. I can't prove that because there are no thermometers anywhere (rumour has it that if the temperature goes over 45deg then even the Iraqis can stop work - they appear to have solved that problem by taking all the thermometers and hiding them!). When I can find one then I will report regularly. Today was also the first day without any real wind to speak of. We have had sandstorms for the last 3-4 days but as soon as the wind drops the humidity rises and as soon as the humidity rises I start to perspire like a horse. The best thing about then getting into a air conditioned armoured car is, the sweat then cools (it doesn't dry out) and you sit for an hour in a bullet proof vest and a cold wet shirt.......mmmmmm yummy.

Interesting Food - I had an Iraqi lunch today. Rice, pickled ginger, cucumber, onion and a sort of chickpea soup which nobody seemed to mind when I poured the whole lot into one bowl and dipped my bread in it (the flat breads here are bloody wonderful, like every kind of naan and other Indian bread you have ever loved). Then BBQ for tea (which I ate cold, having got it and put it in the fridge before I took my halo to be polished at the gym). Nothing really interesting about that except watching the chef standing in full whites outside, in front of a huge flaming BBQ in 40deg heat - rather him than me ! Changing the subject tangentially, Amy is fascinated that Diet Pepsi cans are printed in English on one side and Arabic on the other.....at least that's her sorted for a present when I get back. It was going to be some sand but seeing as I can also get the Pepsi for nothing I might have a re-think ?



Here's the picture of the destroyed tank outside the site gate, for those of you who were interested. My AFV recognition is a little rusty at the moment (for some strange reason) but I'm sure it's of Russian origin and I think it's a T-54 but someone can check and tell me if I'm right or wrong.


Here's something a little more modern that would probably get me locked up for life !

Tomorrow I'll try and remember to get some pictures of the camp that we have just finished and the piece of desert that we are about to put 250 people on to live - Build it and they will come !

I am going to sign of now and visit the Magic Mountain (which so far hasn't defeated me, but then he's only just got off the train !)

tiSbaH ^ala khayr


3 comments:

  1. superb blog, really enjoy reading these (hopefully that doesn't mean I'm too much of a saddo lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this blog mate, thx for sharing

    ReplyDelete