Sunday 1 August 2010

Life on the Inside

Some of you, the ones who don’t look after children especially, will be astonished if I describe my working day to you, and some of the conditions and emotions that I endure. Those of you with children will probably understand the feelings of isolation, incessant noise, the language barriers and that constant feeling of being trapped in an ever decreasing circle with no foreseeable chance of escape.

I think I might use that as an analogy to highlight some of the issues that I face every day, and to highlight that I have a sensitive and caring side that empathises with the fairer sex……..

I am trapped in a building (or series of buildings in this particular case), I can’t go out without having to check with people to see if it’s OK and without organising at least 2 other people to come with me. There’s suntan cream, going to the toilet and proper shoes to consider, along with snacks and a drink. I aim to leave at 10 and invariably by the time other people have not done as they are told (when frankly they should be able to do it without being told in the first place), it’s nearer 11.

By this time I am desperate to hold a conversation with someone who will understand me without gurgling or just nodding and then wandering off to do their own thing anyway. I sat at breakfast whilst someone sat in front of me talking with their mouth full, mumbling and was generally not making a lot of sense (he was a Geordie so my expectations were fully managed). I just kept nodding and left with a feeling that I might have agreed to all sorts of things which I would have to back track on later. Next on the list is an Aussie followed by several Iraqis and a South African so the prospect does not get much better.

I then spend the morning tidying up someone else’s mess whilst trying to get on and do all the things that someone else is going to expect me to have finished by the time they reappear from wherever they have been dragged off too. Generally when they get back they have a whole load of questions which directly lead to me having to do a whole load more things to sort out the mess that someone else has created by over promising on various things – most of which are not unreasonable ideas, just impractical in the circumstances…….but we won’t go there. Generally you sit there thinking about all the things you could be doing if you weren’t sitting there, whilst wondering why they aren’t solving them on there own in the first place.

Then it’s more sun cream, where’s my hat, need a wee and I’m hungry, did you bring a drink ? I did, for me, but I brought one for you because you’ve never got one of your own ! Just when you think you might be able to drop them off somewhere else and go and do some of the things you need to get done they want you to stay there with them just in case they need you – well, you can’t leave the little angels there on their own can you…….

Then it’s back to your enclosure, but you can’t just settle down and have some me time because there’s playtime and food and then stories. By the time you finally settle down on your own to check your e-mails and to do that bit of writing you promised yourself you would get done early today, so that you could watch a film or climb into bed with your book, the phone goes and then it doesn’t seem to stop all night – before you know it it’s gone 11 and you need an early night because you have to be up early in the morning to do the whole thing all over again !

On the upside, I don’t have to change any nappies or wipe up any snot !

We had another of those contractor lunches today only we hosted it this time, and the guest of honour was an Iraqi Police Colonel who manages all the checkpoints around the oilfield here. It’s all about greasing the wheels really, and respect – we respect that we won’t get anything done if we don’t acknowledge who’s in charge……. We gave him a present to thank him for his help and cooperation so far and then fed him to within an inch of his life !













Today’s other picture is really a competition entitled “how many Iraqi guards can you sleep in a 2 man room”……..






Today’s inventory:

Cigars – 3 and out, and the useless git who is coming down to site tomorrow forgot to get me any today (unless he’s winding me up in which case he’s just a git)

0 Units – but I am starting to smell that first glass of wine……..

$0

Gym – nothing today except some very sweaty walking about again. We’ll manage something tomorrow but it’s not likely to be aerobic.

Food – The best ever (or that’s how it seems) stir fried spicy chicken and prawn noodles, cooked to order followed by scrounged chocolate with a coke – surely it can’t get better than that ?

Weather – is horribly humid again, and when it’s like this down at site the smoke from the flaring doesn’t disperse and hangs in the atmosphere making everything darker than it should be. Like something from a Lord of the Rings film.

Countdown – 8 sleeps in Iraq, 1 more in Dubai

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ian, On the home straight now. Just bk from Turkey, where it was cold in comparison to you, at a mere 45 degs!! Spoke to Tracey, will catch up with her when she is in S Wales... Josh v imp with your photo with the gun...thats teenage boys for you...Take care, see you soon,

    Jane. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always looking to impress - if only it was as simple as that every time !

    45 degs bottom end of normal here and just about bearable so understand where you're coming from. Thanks for reading and commenting, we just have to get you onto other IT channels now and you will emerge from the dark ages !

    We'll have to see how I can catch up at some point !

    Ian x

    ReplyDelete