Wednesday 23 June 2010

D-Day minus 3

Yesterday proved much more interesting as I finally spoke to someone who's actually out there. I now have the full run down on the weather, the accommodation, the other people, what to wear etc. etc. etc.

I also know what I'm going out to do now ! Project and Contract Management for the initial phases of a 3000 person camp being built for BP workers for a new oil field an hour outside Basra. The first 70 people move in on 1st July. I'll apparently be living on a US Military base at Basra airport for the first part of my stint but moving to the camp at some point (which will save 3 hours a day of tedious travelling apparently)

I can now answer most of the questions being asked by my wife and our friends - which is helpful, frankly.

I my never ending quest for efficiency I am taking the Tuscan to TVR Power today for some engine work whilst I am away (free off-street parking for a month !), catching the train from Coventry to London for a meeting and some pub related football (and some lightweight trouser and shirt shopping - it's 55deg at the moment and you have to wear trousers to avoid offending anyone ?), whilst making sure I'm home in time for Tracey to go to a Governors meeting.......life carries on as normal around here !

It brings back the interesting point about fitting in with others culture whilst we are abroad but them wanting us to fit in with theirs whilst we are still at home as well - my take is that they have guns over there and if they want me to wear trousers or they'll shoot me then I'm happy to wear trousers !

I now know that I'm flying from Heathrow to Dubai on Emerates at 2040hrs on Sunday (if you want to down it with a scud !) and then straight on into Basra on Iraqi Airways on Monday so I might struggle with the diary on Sunday/Monday - and if you never hear anything again then you'll know that the scud got me !

Right, must get on - won't get to Coventry by sitting here talking to you lot !

No comments:

Post a Comment